The following exercises are to be answered by writing the answers in your learning journal. After you have completed all the exercises, turn to the solutions by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
1. The stimulus for sight is _____ .
2. The stimulus for equilibrium is _____ .
3. The receptor organ for hearing is the _____ of the ear.
4. The receptor organ for balance is the ______ of the ______ .
5. Airborne waves are converted to mechanical vibrations by the______ and ______ .
6. When the pupil constricts as a result of light, the response is called a ______ .
7. Prior to instillation of medication or the application of dressings, the eyelids should be ______ .
8. Before instilling eye ointment, you must ______ to remove any crust.
9. Eyedrops and eye ointments are instilled into the ______ .
10. When irrigating a patient's eye, the head should be turned ______
11. After instilling eardrops, the patient should remain still with his head turned ______ .
12. When irrigating the ear, the temperature of the solution should be ______ .
13. The visual defect in which close objects can be seen more clearly than distant objects is called ________ .
14. A refractive error that results from weakening of the ciliary muscles is called ______
15. The condition known as "pink eye" is called ______ .
16. Patient's undergoing ophthalmic surgery should not cough or sneeze postoperatively because _____ .
17. When a patient returns from ophthalmic surgery, how should he be transferred from litter to bed? ______ .
18. Hearing loss due to disease of the inner ear or nerve pathways is called _____ .
19. Cerumen should be removed from the ear if it is ______ or ______ .
20. Why should irrigation not be used to remove a vegetable matter foreign body from the ear? _______ .