4-2 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Drilling machines have some special safety precautions that are in addition
to those listed in Chapter 1.
Drilling machines are one of the most dangerous hand-operated pieces of
equipment in the shop area. Following safety procedures during drilling
operations will help eliminate accidents, loss of time, and materials. Listed
below are safety procedures common to most types of drilling machines found in
the machine shop.
- Do not support the workplaces by hand.
- Use a holding device to prevent the workpiece from being torn from the
- Never make any adjustments while the machine is operating.
- Never clean away chips with your hand. Use a brush.
- Keep all loose clothing away from turning tools.
- Make sure that the cutting tools are running straight before starting
- Never place tools or equipment on the drilling tables.
- Keep all guards in place while operating.
- Ease up on the feed as the drill breaks through the work to avoid
damaged tools or workplaces.
- Remove all chuck keys and wrenches before operating.
- Always wear eye protection while operating any drilling machines.