Chapter 6Expressions and Equations
6-4 Using the Distributive Property
|When you complete the work for this section, you should be able to: |
- Describe the distributive property for multiplication and addition.
- Demonstrate how to use the distributive property
Distributive Property — What It Is, How to Use It.
The distributive property shows the relationship between the product of one term times the sum of two terms, a(b + c).
a(b + c) = ab + ac
where a, b, and c are real numbers.
The distributive property applies to expressions such as 3(5x + y). To apply the property, simply multiply the outside factor, 3, times each of the inside terms, 5x and y. The result is 3(5x + y) = 15x + 3y.
- Step 1: Multiply the outside factor by the first inside term.
- Step 2: Multiply the outside factor by the second inside term.
- Step 3: Combine the results.
Examples & Exercises
Use these interactive Examples & Exercises to strengthen your understanding and build your skills. Continue working the problems until you can do them consistently without error.: